homestead - Re: [Homestead] greenhouse update

  • From: "WF Smith" <mogrits AT gmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] greenhouse update
  • Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 22:10:25 -0400

> Debating the floor areas. Thinking about wood in woodshop area,
> concrete in other areas, gravel in the center where the backhoe will
> park during nasty weather and when I am away. Do you have any ideas
> for wood floor construction in a woodworking shop? Not
> elevated, right
> down in and on the dirt.

I wouldn't place wooden floor framing down in the dirt. I'm in Upstate South
Carolina , and that is like setting the table for termites and other
parasites. I think you could chemically treat the soil and the lumber well
enough to suit your purposes, but I don't think that's a wise way to
proceed. I'm assuming you want the softness/feel of the wood floor and
that's a valid desire especially if you will be on your feet.

Use your backhoe to dig out a suitable crawlspace, seal the earth using an
epdm barrier or the like, ventilate the space and frame your floor.

Warren