homestead - Re: [Homestead] greenhouse update

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] greenhouse update
  • Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 19:04:47 -0700

At 9/2/2008 06:08 PM,Gene GeRue wrote:

On Sep 2, 2008, at 8:01 PM, keith bellinger wrote:

> Thanks Gene, no water or electric yet. How's the garage coming along?

Shop, Keith, shop! The building is just finished but for a few small
pieces of trim that had to be ordered. Don has already built a bench
for mechanical stuff and I am about finished framing a mezzanine
storage floor.

It feels sooooo good to finally have a shop building, a proper one,
one that is built to withstand the elements.

There were many times when we were in Minnesota that I thought the shop should have been right after the gravel for the drive (so we could get off the township road). Then all the rest after we had a shop.
It didn't happen like that but it should have..

Gene also wrote:
<Debating the floor areas. Thinking about wood in woodshop area,
<concrete in other areas, gravel in the center where the backhoe will
<park during nasty weather and when I am away. Do you have any ideas
<for wood floor construction in a woodworking shop? Not elevated, right
<down in and on the dirt.

In Minnesota, I had a small shop area out in the woods. I laid treated 2x4's flat, 12"oc. Plastic on top of that and then the wood sheeting.
I did the 'back room' on the garage here about the same. It's on a concrete slab (no moisture barrier that I'm aware of). Plastic sheeting, then regular 2x4's laid flat 12"oc. Sheet insulation between the 2x4's and 3/4 flooring on top of that. It's worked well over the last few years.

Rob

becida AT comcast.net
Western Washington State, USA