homestead - Re: [Homestead] June, July and August

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] June, July and August
  • Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2008 16:23:58 -0500

On Sep 6, 2008, at 3:20 PM, Lisa K.V. Perry wrote:

Oldest son worked with a Vet last summer (a year ago), she trains BCs and
owns several. She told Spencer that since BCs are natural herding dogs it
goes against their instinct to chase. Makes sense.

I don't think so. A friend's border collie chased anything that got into their three-acre clearing. And Dax. a German Shepherd, and Benny, an Australian Shepherd, chased anything that got within chasing distance. With Dax gone, Benny is more cautious, but I have zero deer problems. Now, one thing that I believe is a factor is how far back the protective forest is from one's garden or orchard.

Have you considered a pellet gun? Tickle their posteriors.

Seriously, if it were me having such deer problems, I would get two puppies of a breed with strong territorial instincts. Two males.