homestead - Re: [Homestead] greenhouse update

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] greenhouse update
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 07:29:06 -0500

On Sep 3, 2008, at 7:15 AM, Rob wrote:

Two thoughts.
The wood treatment does not go all the way through, drilling a hole
through at the ground level gives access to the untreated wood.

Good point.

The rot usually occurs right at the ground/air line.

I only have one experience pertinent, a bell post, four by four CCA post in moist ground for about ten years. When I took it out I found it rotted severely in all underground areas, about two feet of its bottom length.

Would the
bolts/rebar/whatever make it harder to fix a bad post?

I don't think so. I expect a grandson or whomever would most likely use heavy angle braces bolted to the post and setting on and bolted into the concrete. Or a sister support system would be used, like two by sixes on each side of the post, lagged into the post and sitting on the concrete ribbon.