homestead - Re: [Homestead] greenhouse update

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] greenhouse update
  • Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 05:15:14 -0700

At 9/3/2008 04:24 AM,Gene GeRue wrote:

Another item: I am thinking to pour a concrete ribbon around the
perimeter before any other floor work, both as a screed edge and to
stabilize the posts in case the ACQ does not do what we all hope it
will do and underground post rot occurs. I had thought to run rebar
through the five by five treated posts but then realized that all
fasteners into ACQ needs to be coated or stainless. The rebar would
deteriorate. So then I thought about running the rebar through
galvanized pipe through the posts. Which seems like excessive work and
expense. Don suggests lag bolts on three post faces. What say you guys?

Two thoughts.
The wood treatment does not go all the way through, drilling a hole through at the ground level gives access to the untreated wood.
The rot usually occurs right at the ground/air line. Would the bolts/rebar/whatever make it harder to fix a bad post?

Rob
becida AT comcast.net