homestead - Re: [Homestead] June, July and August

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] June, July and August
  • Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2008 17:42:03 -0400

On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 5:23 PM, Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:

> Have you considered a pellet gun? Tickle their posteriors.

Yes.

We have had more fun considering a paint gun. Imagine a dozen or more deer
with yellow and orange paint spots, like large roving flowers drifting
through the field.
My boys participated in a paint ball game once, the pellets sting and leave
a bruise.

> Seriously, if it were me having such deer problems, I would get two
> puppies of a breed with strong territorial instincts. Two males.

We may have to get more dogs, and if I were to bring it up, it would receive
a mixed review. Spencer talks about possibly moving out and has threatened
to take Sweet Pea with him. Oh, please. I might let him.

Fixing the fence problem is most likely the best answer. The dog likes to
bark at 3 am, thankfully not every night. She wears herself out as well as
us and needs to sleep the following night. This occurs during fruit season,
the rest of the year all is okay.

The blueberry field is 20 yards from the woods at most, the garden and
orchard is roughly 40-60 yards from the woods, depending on which side. We
have 5 'cleared' acres in a knoll consisting of house, barn, fenced garden,
orchard (fruit trees inside and out of the garden) and blueberries
surrounded by 29 acres of mostly woods, though there is an upper field that
is semi-clear or could be cleared.

lkvp