homestead - [Homestead] scrap metal

  • From: Akka Homestead <akkabhomestead AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] scrap metal
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 07:19:28 -0700 (PDT)

What do you guys know about scrap metal?
How much does it bring in your neck of the woods?
Do you have to separate the types of metal or will they, for example, take
engines?
I assume you get less money if they have to separate composites, like a gas
grill or an engine, right?
There are two or three metal recycling places that I could use.  The closest
one is about 16 miles away and I think with them you have to separate the
metals.  I've heard that they are a pain to deal with and undercut you if
they can.  DH's workplace uses another metal yard in another city, which is
about 35 miles(one way) from me.  I know they will take vehicles, engines,
whatever.  I know of one other recycler in town, but have no idea as to
whether or not they will take scrap metal or just cans.
I just wonder if I will make anything after driving the 70 miles to the one
that I know will take my junk.  If I knew the name of the place, I would call
and find out how much they pay, but I don't so I ask you guys to give me an
idea of what to expect.  I have some aluminum siding scraps and gutters, as
well as a a few engines in pieces, Steel/Iron: old rusted feed troughs, a
grill, a heavy metal cage that would hold a a few pigs,  a bathtub, etc.

Akka B