homestead - Re: [Homestead] @ akka

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: akkabhomestead AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] @ akka
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 00:25:01 -0400

> I kind of hope Obama is elected. Then the Dems can control it all. Then,
> the excuse will be they are dealing with the Bush war debt legacy. It's
> the standard excuse. Bush dealt with the Clinton legacy, selling our
> technology to the North Koreans and others...

Whoever gets control of the government is not going to solve all our
problems. I think that homesteading and self sufficiency are more
important now than ever. My grandma always told me how their flock of
laying hens got them through a tough winter in the depression, not the
New Deal.

> I am sorry if my questioning seems to be attacking Obama, however, I won't
> bend over backwards to apologize because for YEARS, literally years, I have
> listened to and read and deleted the political rants and arguments on this
> list. I like throwing things out there to get y'all opinion on it. I have
> been silent until this last year or so about my own opinions. I have tried
> to stay out of things-tried to veer the conversations back to homesteading
> topics, etc. But for whatever reason, some kind of switch inside of me
> has turned on and I have started joining the fray. I am learning about all
> kinds of stuff that I could not have accessed alone through Googling. Each
> one of you brings me a piece of the puzzle. If you each researched one
> thing, I get 25 things to think about, and I do, very seriously. The
> recent difference is that now I am talking and questioning, too. Perhaps it
> has rocked the boat a bit. This is the second time recently

Always question. Do not let anyone stop you from that. Maybe the same
switch went off in me, too. I read and deleted political posts for
years, too. I left this list once in the 90s, because of some
political flame that meant downloading 100s of emails. Sometimes the
posts made me boil. I can't tell you how many times I've wrote a post
and then deleted it!

This is the only homestead list that I'm on where real homesteaders
talk about real topics. I like that and have the highest of respect
for list members. That's not to say I won't get down in the mud and
roll around with them though.

Rob - Va