homestead - Re: [Homestead] Growing tomatoes and vegetables from seed for the fall

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • Cc: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Growing tomatoes and vegetables from seed for the fall
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 07:22:38 -0700 (PDT)

Are you planning to have eternal tomato plants? That would truly be an
indeterminate. <insert smiley face>. You have to eventually let the plants
die and everyone I know lets most of them die off in the heat of the summer
(whether they like it or not). Your plan is good except you will use a lot
more water than you think to help a few survive the summer heat.

Whitfills is owned by Brian Whitfill; He is mainly known for inexpensive
trees , as is his brother, who owns Moon Valley Nursery. They compete
against each other with full page ads. I buy my garden stock from Harper's.
They are more careful of plant selection. I did buy my tangelo tree from
Brian. I don't buy any plants from Home Depot ( personal choice, only).
Incidentally, Baker Brothers has a reputation as having the best fertilizers
for valley soils/conditions, they blend their own.
Most nurseries only have tomatoes and peppers, you can sometimes get cukes
right at the beginning of the season, otherwise must grow from seed.

Everyone has caliche in the city (as far as I know). You have to dig it out
for each plant--be healthy and have a solid shovel handle and a pick-axe.
Drainage is still a problem. You are correct that most people plant in low
spots, as do I. I have been experimenting with small raised beds, not with
very good luck so far.

Note* re: nursery stock. Be very careful of bringing home small green
catepillars attached to the store bought plants <G>
They will soon be fat and your existing plants will be leafless.

Actually because of the caliche and because most houses in the city do not
have gutters, you will see a lot of gardeners grow their plants under the
eaves. If you want plants to survive summer, you would not have them growing
in front of the west facing wall. The western sun is the killer out here.

I have had my best years concentrating on just a few highly productive
plants. The problem is that you don't know which plants will survive long
enough to be the productive ones. Many people only plant in the spring. The
spring is great. For some reason, the whiteflies are not much of a problem
like they are in the fall.

Anyway, you will probably do better than me with your garden. But I can
guarantee you one thing--You will not successfully grow azaleas out here.
Not unless they have come up with some genetically altered monster.

......bobford