homestead - Re: [Homestead] Growing tomatoes and vegetables from seed for the fall

  • From: VAN DELL JORDAN <vdjor AT yahoo.com>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com
  • Cc: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Growing tomatoes and vegetables from seed for the fall
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 08:10:38 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Tue, 7/22/08, bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com> wrote:

I don't buy any plants from Home
> Depot ( personal choice, only).

I have been told by aquaintances in the L/S business that wholesale growers
sell the lesser quality to home depot and save the best for the nurseries.

What was the nursery that used to be at 16th st and Camelback? Think they
moved further out on Camelback. I used to go there if I wanted to make sure
I was getting the best. though that was just my impression.

Is Harper's still in business.. I thought they closed, or was that just one
location?

> Everyone has caliche in the city (as far as I know). You
> have to dig it out for each plant--be healthy and have a
> solid shovel handle and a pick-axe. Drainage is still a
> problem. You are correct that most people plant in low
> spots, as do I. I have been experimenting with small
> raised beds, not with very good luck so far.

I have never encountered caliche in the older parts of townk that were
agricultural prior to development. Lots of clay and drainage was still a
problem though.

Van Dell