homestead - Re: [Homestead] Growing tomatoes and vegetables from seed for the fall

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Growing tomatoes and vegetables from seed for the fall
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 09:45:06 EDT

Bob,

No telling what to do there in the desert. I'm in the temperate rain forest
where there is usually frost by the end of October.

But in all locations it's a gamble. I'm planting cabbages, kale, sprouts,
and all sundry indoors now as it's too hot for them to germinate outdoors.
This is the week for seeding fall turnips, carrots, parsnips, and beets ...
this
week and the next three.

I'm seeding onions but the best one can hope for is scallions.

As to peppers and tomatoes there should be no need. Peppers are perennials.
They will keep producing until frost kills them. So if you have summer
peppers growing, they will just keep producing.

Rather than seed for more tomato plants (which you can do with luck), break
off the suckers at nodes and root those in a pot of soil then transplant.

I will be planting more runner beans the last week of August, I'm planting
more melons now. The odds aren't even as good as even, but I usually get
something for the effort. I planted more sweet corn this week and I will
plant some
more in two or three weeks.

Many years I can cover frost tender plants during that first frost or two and
then have six or eight more weeks of no frost.

Ya' plants yer seeds and ya' takes yer chances.

James </HTML>