homestead - Re: [Homestead] Growing tomatoes and vegetables from seed for the fall

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Growing tomatoes and vegetables from seed for the fall
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 23:07:39 -0400

> Usually I just wait for the nursery stock to show up at the end of the
> summer, but it has been showing up so late the past few years , I wanted to
> get an early start this fall by planting seeds inside now....bobford

That's the way it was when I was in South Florida. Slips came out at
about the time to plant a northeastern garden. Too many transplants
there and they've not learned when to plant in that climate. Seeds and
plants come out about April or May. If you plant anything other than
crowder peas or sweet potatoes, okra in summer in South Florida, the
heat and heavy rain/humidity will get it.

At the proper time to plant, October or so, you can't find seeds or
transplants. On another list I'm on a lady in South Florida doesn't
understand why here garden won't prosper. Bugs, humidity and heat are
taking a toll.

Rob - Va