homestead - Re: [Homestead] Growing tomatoes and vegetables from seed for the fall

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: vdjor AT yahoo.com
  • Cc: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Growing tomatoes and vegetables from seed for the fall
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 09:15:39 -0700 (PDT)

Harpers only has locations in the East Valley now. Their original store
open, since the 1940s , was off 16th street and Thomas. Thats where I used
to buy all of my plants.
I have heard the same thing, as you, about Home Depot plants. Anyway, I
just like supporting the local guys. Jay Harper and his brothers are still
very much hands on in running the business, as far as I know. I used to see
Jay at the Thomas Road nursery.

I have caliche, maybe you are right that other area don't. Most people I
know do have caliche in their yards.
That area north of Camelback , the area Gene mentions in his post, was
citrus groves at one time, just as much of the far east and far west valley
were all agricultural: Citrus, cotton, even peaches.

I remember, only about ten years ago, going out to Queen Creek for
pick-your-own peaches. And, of course they would have some vegetables to
pick while you were there, and they even had a little restaurant and gift
shop. Now it is just another sea of ugly red-roof-tiled McMansions.

Blasted real estate developers and agents ruined this city. I might have
stayed here forever, if---the day after I moved here--- they had simply
passed a law disallowing any new real-estate developement,

or any more people moving here from california. Real estate people ruin the
land ( I have a passionate hate for red tile roofs )
-- People from california ruin everything. They move to your town from a
state they hate, and then try to change your state to become exactly like
blasted California.

so,If you have a new group of riff-raff downtown at the Capitol screaming for
gun-control, you just stick your head out the window and holler a neighborly
reminder that they can go back to california where they already have plenty
of conficatory gun control laws. People from California want laws for
everything; I mean everything. And, if you break one, they want you locked
up, unless you are in the country illegally.

Anyway, the city was great at one time, but I am on my five year plan (I was
palnning to move out sooner, but some very recent events have delayed things)
to get the hell out of here.

I'll miss the old phoenix that I saw when I arrived years ago, but not much
of the phoenix of today . *dad% &@ blasted California people.....bobford