homestead - Re: [Homestead] Pasture question

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Pasture question
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 21:42:27 EDT

> > I'd mow it.
>
> Thanks, Bev, why? Will it help it to regrow or just the asthetics?

Bev is right. Mow it. Mowning it will give the grass an advantage and the
reemerging broadleaf weeds a disadvantage. Also goats do not crop closely
unless they have to. They will eat off weeds and grass 18" high and leave
them
if there's something else to eat, it seems to be a natural defense mechanism
against soil borne parasites. If any dead weeds are standinga around, you
will
notice that the goats will tend to ignore the grass around the dead or live
weeds.

We are beplaqued with giant thistle and ironweed. When we wander the
pastures, we take a ditching shovel along as a walking stick and do in any
weeds we
see biding fair to rise above the grass. The goats will eat (the tops) of
golden rods, joe-pye, vervain, and a good number of other 'weeds', but they
don't
prefer to eat ironweed. </HTML>