homestead - Re: [Homestead] book restoration

  • From: Roy Morgan <k1lky AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] book restoration
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 08:57:25 -0400

On May 14, 2008, at 10:03 PM, EarthNSky wrote:

My sister just gave me the following book:
_The Boston Cooking School Cook Book_, by Fannie Merritt Farmer, 1909
... The book's

pages are rice paper thin and are falling apart. The spine of the book
is coming apart and the cloth binding is very worn.

Bev,

I suggest you do find an experienced book repair person. It likely will be worth it compared to trying a home fix.

On the long to-do list here is a similar situation with a pulpit- sized bible I got at a flea market for little money. It's cover and spine are separated from the rest of the thing. There are linen straps that are severed at that point and the end paper has that swirly pattern made with ink on water.

My Grandmothers very small bible is in much better shape. It's written in what I assume is a very old form of Swedish.

Roy

Roy Morgan
k1lky AT earthlink.net
Lovettsville, VA 20180