homestead - Re: [Homestead] Boston Cooking School

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Boston Cooking School
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 22:40:33 -0400

I read that this book revolutionized cookbooks by putting actual measurements for phrases like (add a little sour cream until thickened). Apparently after this book, she focused on the housewife as opposed to the chef.

Roy Morgan wrote:

My sister just gave me the following book:
_The Boston Cooking School Cook Book_, by Fannie
Merritt Farmer, 1909

We have here a reprint (one of those on poor paper that gets yellow in a few decades) of the 1896 edition. The fly leaf bears my signature and the date 1966. Moon had it out the other day and I suggested it might have some interesting things in it, but certainly not as up to date as other members of her library.

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky