homestead - Re: [Homestead] book restoration

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] book restoration
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 02:25:47 -0400

Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:
The spine of the book is coming apart and the cloth binding is very worn.

Bev, I've rebound a number of books. When you say the spine is coming apart, do you mean the stitching that holds the signatures together? Are all the signatures intact or has the stitching for the individual signatures come apart as well?

James </HTML>

No, sorry to be vague. I wasn't up to par on my bookbinding vocabulary.
Ok..
The inner hinge has come loose and the spine piece has separated from the signatures. The signatures are still stitched together to each other, but not to the spine. The mesh, mull, crash or whatever you call it, is attached to the spine piece. I can see 8 lines of stitching across the signatures to hold them in place. The book is approx 5 x 7.5.
The pages themselves are in fair shape except of course those in the first part of the book. The only remaining attached first page is now the preface. The Title page, a dedication page and a quote/dedication page are separate, but I do have them. Someone taped these together with what looks like cellophane tape, now old and yellow. I doubt there is anything to do about these first tattered pages, but if the spine could be reglued...
If you think it is a simple matter of reglueing, I can probably attempt that myself. I just don't want to skip any steps. About 1/4 of the glues I make and test at work are cool bind glues for bookbinding, so at least I won't have to buy anything. It would be challenging to figure out which one would work best in a manual repair application,though.

What do you think now?

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky