homestead - Re: [Homestead] McKibben et al, was Do you have your affairs in order?

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] McKibben et al, was Do you have your affairs in order?
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 08:17:55 -0500

On May 15, 2008, at 9:13 PM, Roy Morgan wrote:

On May 14, 2008, at 11:28 PM, Don Bowen wrote:

The current paradigm of...
Our entire system is built on perpetual growth. It is embedded in the
system of credit that funds growth.

For as long as I can remember, I (we) have heard how important, nay
essential, perpetual growth is. And for as long as I can remember,
I've harbored a nagging suspicion that it just is not so.

I've always been nonplussed at people in near perfect small towns that pushed for growth. Nothing like a zealous Chamber of Commerce to ruin a perfectly fine place to live. I have read that growth is necessary, that only primitive tribes know how to live sustainably without growing their numbers or their hunting grounds. Apparently they have not learned the immense rewards of progress. Someone needs to show them how better weapons could kill more animals, how tractors could till more land. Then they could raise larger families and build bigger huts, then proper houses. Why, they need a proper financial system. They just don't know what they're missing.