homestead - Re: [Homestead] Boston Cooking School

  • From: Roy Morgan <k1lky AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Boston Cooking School
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 21:50:26 -0400

On May 15, 2008, at 1:05 PM, VAN DELL JORDAN wrote:

I have a later copy of that book. ...
On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 10:03 PM, EarthNSky
<erthnsky AT bellsouth.net> wrote:

My sister just gave me the following book:
_The Boston Cooking School Cook Book_, by Fannie
Merritt Farmer, 1909

We have here a reprint (one of those on poor paper that gets yellow in a few decades) of the 1896 edition. The fly leaf bears my signature and the date 1966. Moon had it out the other day and I suggested it might have some interesting things in it, but certainly not as up to date as other members of her library.

By the way, some time ago, Gourmet Magazine got the idea of publishing 1000 of the best recipes to appear in their magazine. They managed to only get the number down to about 1200, but they updated all of them. It's a treasure, and Moon has had unusually consistent success with the things she's tried from that book. The dust jacket is yellow, so we call it "the Yellow Book." Don't pass up a chance to get one.

Roy

Roy Morgan
k1lky AT earthlink.net
Lovettsville, VA 20180