homestead - Re: [Homestead] book restoration

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] book restoration
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 21:56:44 -0800

We did the book restoration using that site. It is fun and the results are spectacular!

The site gives you all the specifics and shows you step by step. There is a special Japanese tissue paper you can get to patch pages. And if you go to buy glue, be sure you get one that says it is flexible when dry.

The idea of going to Amazon to find another one is actually good advise. Sort of <g> You take the "new" book and use it to patch/repair the old book that you want to keep. We spent one day doing complete restorations including "building" new covers, stitching sections back together.

What I'd suggest is what we learned in class. Go to a used book dealer or a library sale and buy a couple of old books and practice on them first. There are a couple of different types of tape to use and everyone has a favorite, so you can get the feel of what you like before you tackle the book you really want to do.

My sister just gave me the following book:
_The Boston Cooking School Cook Book_, by Fannie Merritt Farmer, 1909

It belonged to my birthmother, and before her, her surrogate mother (my
grandmother died very young so my birthmother was raised by Aunt
Leo(la), a distant relative. It is in very rough shape. The book's
pages are rice paper thin and are falling apart. The spine of the book
is coming apart and the cloth binding is very worn. I know that Lynda?
posted a link from Alaska about bookbinding, but is there anyone here
who restores old books? I seem to recall that at one time there was a
gentleman from Alabama who did this??
I also received a book called _The Book of Games for Home, School, and
Playground_ by Forbush and Allen from 1927. It belonged to my
birthmother, too. It is in very good shape, and I thought I would
mention it in case anyone wants me to look up anything. There is some
really cool stuff in there-old fashioned games and songs-activities-for
kids of all ages. The mentality is like mine, too, for example, it
talks about skipping rope for exercise (not really play) and lists a few
rhymes and skipping 'songs'. It's great stuff.

Bev

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky