homestead - [Homestead] How to judge history, was Obama and religion

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] How to judge history, was Obama and religion
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 10:40:42 -0800

Copies of his letters. Yes, they are in books but the letters are actually photocopies. Also, I have a complete set of the written works of Lincoln plus some books that have photo copies of letters to and from him. Some of the to and froms are letters of Grant and Sherman and Sheridan.

As to previous references to Grant, he was stationed in my hometown. I have my grandfather's letters about the happenings. He was quite the journal keeper, also. Plus our local library has the complete works, one set is actual photocopies, of local journalists. And, Fort Humboldt had a letter Grant wrote to his wife that wasn't mailed. It was in a display case on the wall until the Fort was gifted to the state.

I think that by reading what was actually written by the person in question that one gets a pretty good idea of who they are and where they were coming from. Sherman wrote routinely about how the citizens of the South had to be "punished." Not someone's opinion of what he thought, not something that was filtered through faulty recollection but his actual words.

So, I would posit that one should read the writings of those who lived the history.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene GeRue" <genegerue AT ruralize.com>

I started to reply to this by saying where I had read differently when
I started laughing inwardly. Your previous post was about books and
lies. So where did you get the above information but from books? Even
an ancestor, how many generations back, would have done the human
thing and embellished his stories and then with each retelling, more
embellishment. The point is that we really only guess about history
based on what we have read. Hell, three people can see something
yesterday and tell different stories about it today. Imperfect memory.
Selective memory. Biased memory. Undependable memory.