homestead - Re: [Homestead] How to judge history, was Obama and religion

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] How to judge history, was Obama and religion
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 16:11:40 -0500

On Apr 29, 2008, at 1:40 PM, Lynda wrote:

So, I would posit that one should read the writings of those who lived the
history.

One of the best sources, for sure. One would, of course, make allowance for any individual showing himself in the best possible light. And keeping in mind the intended reader or readers. Sounds like you do, in fact, have solid material, with these caveats. To the point we were discussing, I think the record shows that in addition to punishing those considered wrong, or bad, that military expediency had to come first. Considering the nature of the uncivil Civil War, all superior officers did what they could to win.

Think we will ever stop fighting the Civil War?