homestead - Re: [Homestead] Jeremiah Wright talks to Bill Moyers

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Jeremiah Wright talks to Bill Moyers
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 09:42:29 -0500

On Apr 26, 2008, at 9:24 AM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

But the 30% aren't necessarily delusional, they are just setting the bar a
bit lower in defining "having WMD's"

You are being charitable. Alas, there are many among us who just don't care to think beyond easy answers. The media loves them.

I've read the transcrips (no TV here either) and I see nothing in the
transcrips of the entire sermons nor Moyers' interview that changes a thing. Wright
is still a racist and hate monger.

I just don't see it. He certainly has a focus based on his racial experiences but I fail to see hate mongering.

It is still very significant that Obama
sat through sermons such as this for 20 years and held Wright to be his
spiritual leader.

I've been faithfully reading the New York Times for longer than that. The Times is generally acknowledged or at least accused of being highly liberal. I am mostly conservative. Shall my political views be held up for ridicule because I read the Times?

Many remonstrated that it was unfair to judge Obama by the
company he keeps, although we have precious little else by which to judge him.

We have his full background. Surely you know of his work in Illinois.

I am critical of many things about Obama, as I am about many things about Clinton and McCain. You are right, there are many revelations to come. About all of them, but most especially once the Democrats have chosen their candidate. But this business of guilt by association is important not just how it affects a candidate; it's most damaging condition is that it distracts us from the myriad important issues of the day: energy, food, health care, education, Iraq, and countless more. Yes, we need to know character, but mostly we need to know focus and competence. As things are, the candidates are unable to talk about the serious issues because they are bombarded by media bullets.