homestead - Re: [Homestead] We're all gonna die

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] We're all gonna die
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 17:18:33 -0500

On Apr 17, 2008, at 3:25 PM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

I read those things too and the notion about 'certain soils or water'. But
when the investigators tried to find what was in common among all those sundry
locations about the globe, they were flummoxed.

I recall that the premise on Hunzakut water was that it was from glacier melt and runoff. The implication was that the glaciers grind stones and thus the water contained high mineral levels. Such water is sometimes referred to as "glacial milk."

As for soil, selenium seems to lessen the incidence of some cancers and heart disease. Some believe magnesium decreases heart disease. Many of the areas of high soil magnesium content also have some of the longest-lived Americans. What I take from such premises is that it is important that my garden soil be as sufficient as possible in all nutrients including micronutrients. Mining soil via monoculture of wheat, corn, etc. seems to me certain to deplete certain substances that are not replaced by typical NPK fertilizers and lime.

What the DID observe about
all those populations was that almost all their food came from only a few
hundred yards from where they lived. It seemed it was food from the same source
(albeit organic and low on the food chain for the most part as well) all their
lives that was a determining factor. Talk about locavores!

That is another of my unprovable beliefs, that eating local food is more healthful. I can only speculate on the reasons. I am content to simply think of it as more natural.