homestead - Re: [Homestead] We're all gonna die

  • From: VAN DELL JORDAN <vdjor AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] We're all gonna die
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 10:01:33 -0700 (PDT)

On of the ways that wisdom was passed from old to
young, and the elderly were kept more active was the
multi generational family.
I spent lots of times with grandparents and learned
from them. We used to have 4 generation family in
summer when we visited my parents and maternal
grandmother. This was near ideal situation, as there
was a large house, 160 acre backyard, and my if you
couldn't get along with my dad and grandmother you
couldn't get along with anyone. This interaction was
very positive on my children's upbringing.
A few generations ago this was the most practical way
for rural people to live, but lots of changes have
made it less necessary. Most of the people I know do
not think the advantages of this way of life offset
the negative.
Is today's lifestyle better or worse. I'm not sure,
just that we have lost a lot.
Van Dell