homestead - Re: [Homestead] We're all gonna die

  • From: keith bellinger <bartermn AT epix.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] We're all gonna die
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 15:01:42 -0400

While shooting rats at the chicken coop this morning my neighbor's boy (20-something still at home) walked over through the woods. For years I'd been trying to get him interested in hunting without success. He took to rat hunting though, saying he just don't like the skinning and such that goes with deer hunting. Anyways, I told him to enjoy and left him with my .22 pistol while I forked the garden and spread compost. I would take a break every half-hour or so and we would sit at my fire pit and talk. One of the things we discussed was my long list of to do's, rat-proof the coop, plant the agrden, build a greenhouse addition, remodel my sister's bathroom ...

He said he had a list of the things he wanted to do before he died. "Take a trip to Amsterdam and then to California."

Is that all, I asked.

"Pretty much," he said.

--- Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:

It could be judged self-serving or deluded, but it
seems to me that the elderly must, yes, must, pass on to the
youngsters what they have learned through experience and thinking--if the
human condition is to be improved.