homestead - Re: [Homestead] We're all gonna die

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] We're all gonna die
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 08:09:54 -0500

On Apr 25, 2008, at 7:26 AM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

Just as knowledge of the world must be passed down and learned
in humans, so must the spiritual experience. . . . Based on a rather constant ratio in mammals of the time to reach sexual maturity as a percent of average life span, the human natural life span is around
120 years. Just as by middle age we should have a knowledge of the physical
world and the skills to thrive in it and be ready to pass that along, in all
likelihood it takes until the age of 100 or more to have the spiritual knowledge
we need to pass along. . . . This, says I, is what one's middle years are all
about: the ability for great bouts of physical work and also times of wending
one's way through life a bit more dreamily.

It feels so, just nice, to be in full agreement.

It could be judged self-serving or deluded, but it seems to me that the elderly must, yes, must, pass on to the youngsters what they have learned through experience and thinking--if the human condition is to be improved. Only if one feels that society is perfect or non- improvable can there be argument.

The key is how to get youngsters to believe that oldsters have anything of value for them. Old-timers tend to focus too much on personal survival. If we all lived healthfully from early age we could focus on more uplifting enterprise. So that's one of the things to teach. Grow old healthfully and you might have their attention.