homestead - Re: [Homestead] Beer for my Horses

  • From: clhw AT infoave.net (clhw)
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Beer for my Horses
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 08:08:33 -0400

I have a visiting horse this morning also.
A gelding, who normally lives across the street, looking for company. He
had a pasture mate of a mare but she must have been the reason for a circle
of buzzards a couple of months back.

Our mares are in a field at the far end of our land and the gelding, whose
name I do not know, will probably work his way down there. They have been
together before, usually when fallen trees took down mutual fences. The
gelding's owner has built a new home in the far north of the state and
moved, leaving this horse (well, both of them) and a tractor here. We don't
know how to contact him.

The gelding came right up to the porch to check out whether I had another
treat for him after my husband gave him a small handful of alfalfa cubes.
The gelding was snorting and spooking at any excuse. I told him if he bit
me, I'd bite him back. We have a full day away from home and decided to do
nothing about the gelding this morning. I hope he stays on our place, out
of the road. It is a 2-lane country "secondary" or even "tertiary" road
with not much traffic but a fair amount of the traffic is high-speed,
especially the paramedic and law enforcement who use it as a non-traveled
alternative route. Since the road is known for many deer waiting to commit
suicide, most people drive either slowly or with one foot on the brake.

The clover is in bloom, as is our red delicious apple tree. The grasses,
and the wild garlic, are growing nicely.
Lynn

>Today, I was finishing up in the garden and heard a noise that I
>recognized immediately as the sound of horse hooves,

snip