homestead - Re: [Homestead] Beer for my Horses

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Beer for my Horses
  • Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 22:19:52 -0400

Using a horse instead of a tractor really, really appeals to me. Now, I have neither and the farm suffers. There is so much deadfall in the woods that needs to be cleaned up. All kinds of stuff needs to be moved and could be pulled...Of course, my garden is just the right size for a horse or mule to plow-almost too small for a tractor. I have the pasture to keep one, blah blah blah, but here's my thing...
I know I can buy a trained horse for less than I can buy a tractor, for sure, but who is going to train ME to do things with the horse, i.e. log, plow, etc., and how much would all that tack and equipment cost in addition to the horse?
Moon, I've had a couple of border collies..and yes, I worked my sheep. The first one, the best one, was a borrowed dog..a two year old could have worked that dog..then I 'tried out' several before buying, and realized that I couldn't whistle-that I needed a voice trained dog. Well, try to find that in an area where IF you can find a trained dog, they are trained to compete, not necessarily to work, and they are all whistle dogs..
Anyway, to make a long story shorter, I have learned my lesson about getting the personal training for myself...just buying a trained animal isn't good enough, and I wouldn't have a clue as to how to learn how to actually work with a horse.

Bev

Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

Not that I'd hesitate to buy one. There's a draft horse auction here twice a year and while a well trained (usually meaning Amish trained) Belgian will go for as much as $4000, this past year many feasible Belgians and Halflingers sold for $800. You don't get much tractor for that money at any rate.

Do you use your Halflinger in harness or do you ride him or both?? </HTML>

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky