homestead - Re: [Homestead] Beer for my Horses

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Beer for my Horses
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 06:05:44 -0500

On Apr 8, 2008, at 9:02 PM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

The two of them together were beyond belief as far as the load they could tug.

I am reminded of something my father told me about his experiences with horse. My father's father died when Dad was twelve or fourteen. To help support the family, Dad was hired out to a logging company, this in northern Michigan. He started as a cook's helper and worked his way up. He became a teamster, skidding logs with horse, and grew to love the big animals. He said that on a very heavy log and imperfect footing the horses would get down with their bellies nearly touching the ground and pull, literally scratching the dirt with their hooves, giving him everything they had.