homestead - Re: [Homestead] Beer for my Horses

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Beer for my Horses
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 00:57:00 EDT

> James, you have alluded to a donkey of your personal acquaintance. So,
> tell us, what have you persuaded this creature to do? Or does s/he
> remain a pasture ornament as is the sad case of so many.

As much as he'd like to, no, he's actually been required to earn his keep.
He's done some modest packing and he's been ridden quite a bit. The only
reason his work load is so light is due to lack of proper tack. The picture
found and forwarded shows the donkey with a collar like a horse. This
doesn't
work the best, a donkey needs a breast yoke.

Donkey tack is not for sale (except some very expensive pack saddles) and
must be made by the homesteader. It all to easily takes a back burner.

He (Peles) is an average sized donkey and can easily pack 250 lbs. I've been
working on an improved pack to get him to pack firewood from the forrest.
</HTML>