homestead - Re: [Homestead] Beer for my Horses

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Beer for my Horses
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 21:50:16 -0500

I suppose I should change the subject line to 'beer for my
jackasses'. I have two of them. We had an ecological niche here at the
House of Joy after my husband died (and, yes, I loved him very much --
still do -- but still...he satisfactorily filled the jackass niche),
so when a matched pair of standard gelding donkeys became available
for practically free what could I do? I've had donkeys in my life
since I was about 12.

One of these two pasture ornaments is alleged to have had lessons in
driving. Who knows what that means. I wouldn't risk my life on it.
They are both sweeties. I can pick up all their feet (or I could when
I had two useful arms, and will again). And, thankfully, the farrier
who as a lad took care of the family donkeys is marginally youngerr
than I am and still happy to work with the boys -- farriers have a
huge fear factor with respect to anything with donkey blood in it.

With all my donkey experience, I know a bit about the race. Has anyone
ever taught a donkey to plow? I can see teaching them to pull a small
cart, but I can also see them looking at me in amusement if I attached
a plow and asked for forward motion. I have plenty of horse people
around who work or drive horses, but donkeys are different. My father
worked mules, and I was there for the last team, but mules are not
donkeys. In pictures of third world countries, I see donkeys carrying
great burdens, but I've never seen one pulling a plow. Personally, I
suspect donkeys everywhere think that is beneath their personal
dignity but if anyone has another opinion I'll be glad to hear it.

Marie