homestead - Re: [Homestead] Beer for my Horses

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Beer for my Horses
  • Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 22:02:07 EDT

> Well, I admire him. I'd love to hear about how you found him if you
> ever feel like telling the tale. Our Halflinger has the looks but not
> the heft.

Halflingers are great! That's what I'd be leaning toward if I needed more
horses. Of couse, a neighbor, a horsedrawn neighbor like us, brough over his
Belgian for Denise to train. The two of them together were beyond belief as
far
as the load they could tug.

Duke was an Amish horse and developed a lameness that made him below par for
their rigorous regimen. He was sold to a local vet who paired him with an
exact match (Doc). When his lameness grew and he could not pair with Doc,
they
were going to sell him for meat (back before the idiots got that banned in
the
US). The vet's wife, an old associate of mine, could not bear it and brought
him to us.

Herself, Denise, treated him herbally, trimmed his enormous
dinner-plate-sized hooves carefully over months, and took all the annoyance
and stress off him.
His lameness disappeared completely and has not returned at all. He's
perfectly sound except for a little moon eye which seems to be waning away
now.

That is, he didn't cost us anything.

Not that I'd hesitate to buy one. There's a draft horse auction here twice a
year and while a well trained (usually meaning Amish trained) Belgian will go
for as much as $4000, this past year many feasible Belgians and Halflingers
sold for $800. You don't get much tractor for that money at any rate.

Do you use your Halflinger in harness or do you ride him or both?? </HTML>