homestead - Re: [Homestead] Beer for my Horses

  • From: paxamicus AT earthlink.net
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Beer for my Horses
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 21:11:45 -0400

I bought him for Sophie...my 6 yo. He's imperturbable, and the people I bought him from had their 7 yo fox hunting off of him. He is big enough for me, too. I have done all kinds of things with him. He shows, trail rides, he drives, he'll pack a kid around a course, and he does it all on a flake of hay a day. I pulled his shoes and he's holding up ok with regular trims by my ex. Basically, he's an air fern.

There isn't much to dislike about draught horses. My problem is I'm 5'1. To work with the Cleveland Bay we have, I need to stand on a step ladder, which is part of the reason I am happy with my "mini-Belgian". Cross bred Belgians are cheap, cheap, cheap up north, Bev, because they use Belgian mares in PMU factories. You could probably pick up a reasonable cross bred for dirt cheap from a rescue or some place. But don't do that unless you have someone to help you with him. : )

Next time you have marauders, you could try leaving a trail. Then they aren't running after you with the bucket but you can get them in the right direction. It's slower but it may be safer.

I put up three small single pics of some of the horses, one on each page, so that if anybody wants to see any of them. they don't have to gag their dial up.

This is Kipper's (the Halflinger) first day at home. From left to right is me, Sophie on Kipper, Maeve on Uncle Leo, and my sister. As you can see, we are poised to have him jump in any direction but he never even flicked an ear.

http://www.hopefieldfarm.com/freeimages/horses/kipper/kipsfirstday.jpg

I have lent him out periodically to other kids who were in need of a confidence boost. Those horsey folks amongst us will admire his bascule and his knees, I hope. Also, his patience given that the kid's leg is playing his rib cage like a cylophone, almost.. This is both his first show, and the kid's first show back after a bad experience with her own horse (under someone else's supervision). I know she's too tall for him, but she was really comfortable on him and I figured comfort and safety was more important than suitability.

http://www.hopefieldfarm.com/freeimages/horses/kipper/kipsarahtaylormade.jpg

This is our Cleveland Bay, Pirate. For some perspective, that jump is a 4'6" single. Paul and I imported him from England. He is now lawn furniture at my Mom's.

http://www.hopefieldfarm.com/freeimages/horses/pirate/outofthetack.jpg

I have two wisdom teeth and a third molar out today. I am a little out of it.

Bev....how 'bout when we get settled we think about a Mom's Margarita and Horse Training Camp. I will barter. I will give you all the free lessons you want, and room and board, but you have to bring the baby and let me hold her for you whenever you are brushing the horse. Ok? Only if you bring the Angelface, we better leave off the margaritas and just have some yummy tea. And tea cakes of course. : ) Or maybe we could out-pizza the guys. i've been practicing.

Cheers,

Celia