homestead - Re: [Homestead] Video about Obama

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Video about Obama
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 19:43:31 -0400

Well, I'm not sure if you were talking to me or Marie, but I was thinking about it from the other way. I grew up next to the town of Kennesaw, Ga...have you ever heard of it?
Back in the early 80's, the sleepy town of Kennesaw created quite a stir when they passed a law requiring every household to have a gun...that's pretty much a local thing...so I was thinking locally...of course, you gotta realize I grew up in that County, Cobb County (home of one greasy politician named Newt Gingrich...Mr. Conservative Hypocrit if there was one)
I know and I glad that we have base protection federally, but when it comes to specifics as to who can do what and when, usually the state decides. Isn't it the state that determines how long you have to wait, what kind of background check you get, and what kind of gun you can buy and from whom? Or, does that fall solely under ATF jurisdiction? Anyway, I think it all should be done on a local basis.

Bev

Gloria Morris wrote:
With all due respect, gun control is not a state issue. The Bill of Rights
specifically guarantees the right to bear arms. The Bill of Rights was made
applicable to the states by the 14th amendment. It is a federal issue if
ever there was one. If the Supreme Court rules that the Second Amendment is
an individual right, then states have no more business controlling guns than
they have controlling speech or religion.There are severe limits on states
with respect to laws they can pass that might infringe on speech or
religion. The same should be true of the right to bear arms (at least as I
read that amendment - not every attorney agrees).

Gloria