homestead - Re: [Homestead] Video about Obama

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Video about Obama
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 13:58:04 -0500

On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 1:34 PM, EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Surely you jest, Marie...when did a little problem like that ever stop
> the feds from interfering? If they aren't already, half or more of all
> the "issues" in this 'national' campaign should be in the state or local
> domain, not the fed..jmo..(think gun control, education, welfare, etc.)
> etc.)

No, I'm really not jesting. Can you cite any federal laws that have to
do with smoking? TV ads are banned and warning labels were mandated
because of interstate commerce. Heck, the feds used to support tobacco
farmers.

For the most part, gun control is also a state issue. So is abortion.
They're used to make noise in national elections to turn out social
conservatives to vote for Republicans.

The states wouldn't need to put up with interference from the feds on
education and welfare eitheer if they didn't want federal money.

Marie