homestead - Re: [Homestead] Video about Obama

  • From: "Gloria Morris" <gloriamorris59 AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Video about Obama
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 15:35:39 -0500

With all due respect, gun control is not a state issue. The Bill of Rights
specifically guarantees the right to bear arms. The Bill of Rights was made
applicable to the states by the 14th amendment. It is a federal issue if
ever there was one. If the Supreme Court rules that the Second Amendment is
an individual right, then states have no more business controlling guns than
they have controlling speech or religion.There are severe limits on states
with respect to laws they can pass that might infringe on speech or
religion. The same should be true of the right to bear arms (at least as I
read that amendment - not every attorney agrees).

Gloria