homestead - Re: [Homestead] Would you buy a house where a murder took place?

  • From: paxamicus AT earthlink.net
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Would you buy a house where a murder took place?
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 22:43:26 -0400

Well, it's only worth what's someone's willing to pay for it, and the price is low for that area, I think. I am sure the neighbour wouldn't mind getting his hands on the property. He told us he "let it slip through his hands" at the time of the original land sale. Now it's distressed, I'm sure he's waiting the current owner/bank out.

I think there is not much in the way of building codes in West Virginia. One house we looked at didn't have a septic. Really green field down hill, though. : )

Celia

Around here, stair rails get forgotten until the C.O. or is the last thing
done on the house. Don't know why, just is. Saw it repeatedly on appraisals
of new construction and even on appraisals of refi where the owner had got
away with it (or promised to install but never did--we had a former County
Inspection person who was known to sometime look the other way), and the
appraiser caught it and it became a condition by the Underwriter.

In this case, I conjecture
that the husband had a passion to build this innovative house, that
led to financial strain for the family, and that led to psychological
pain so strong that the wife went mad.

A couple more thoughts:
1) The neighbor may be purposely driving buyers away;
2) The house actually has greater value due to the publicity.