homestead - Re: [Homestead] Would you buy a house where a murder took place?

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Would you buy a house where a murder took place?
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 18:34:59 -0400

Not 10 feet from where I type, Mr. John Stewart took his life with a shotgun. Now, suicide is not murder, but in the minds of some, it is just as haunting. I've never seen him, but I don't have to go on rumor as both of his daughters live as my neighbors. I've seen pictures of the man, and heard stories about him. Every once in a while, the wind??? will blow the door open and I'll say, "C'mon in, John". :)
Seriously, there have been times when I have felt a presence that I assumed was John, but I am not afraid of him. I actually think he might like me, as I am probably the first owner of this place since him that actually cared about the land, the house, the farm, etc. Plus, he was a police officer, and he knows, I'm sure, of my law enforcement background. I think, often, that we are kindred spirits. He killed himself because he was diagnosed with terminal cancer.
I did not know about John when we bought the place. I don't think it would have mattered. In my mind, murder is different, and it would really have to be a special place for me to buy a house where there had been a murder.

Bev
34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky