homestead - Re: [Homestead] Georgia water woes

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Georgia water woes
  • Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 10:57:54 -0400

Turn on CNN.
There was an SEC basketball game last night at the time of the tornado. I think the video goes to show the strength of the GA Dome. The state insurance commissioner says the World Congress Center is worse than the Dome, and of course, the older surrounding neighborhoods like Cabbagetown are hard hit, as is the area around the King center and the Tabernacle. The torches at Centennial Park, the Olympic torches, are down. This was not a severe tornado, but unusual in that so much damage was done in the inner city. There is footage of water cascading down a staircase INSIDE the Omni-CNN center from a ruptured water line...kind of interesting looking considering Atlanta is the city of fountains. Anyway, the aerial footage of the damage is rather impressive.
Gotta get off the computer now, as the leading edge of that line of storms has arrived..I'll get back on in a few hours...

Bev

clhw wrote:
Bev -- I had not heard about the tornado until I read what you wrote.
I've looked at a couple of stories linked to drudgereport.com.
The main damage that they talk about is almost where I used to work at the
Carniegie Library downtown. I don't really know where the CNN building is,
but I think it would be almost within sight of the Library.

We lived for 13 years about 3 or 4 blocks from Piedmont Park, on a small
street off Amsterdam Avenue. I graduated from Grady High School, which is
across the street from Piedmont Park. Husband graduated from Georgia Tech,
off 10th Avenue. This is all familiar territory to me and I remembed some
rip-snortin' storms, but no threat of tornado. Of course, that was in the
days before weather radios. There were air raid and alarm sirens on many of
the major buildings, including the fire department about a block from our
house and on the 3rd story of my high school building and on the elementary
school between our house and the high school.

When those alarms went off, it was enough to raise the hair on the back of
your neck. All we have here, in rural South Carolina, is a siren at the
volunteer fire department. It sounds to call the fire men to a problem. If
the wind is howling, like it was last night and again this morning, it is
hard to hear at our home about 3 miles away.

We had a severe thunderstorm this morning which had lightning popping
around us. Lots of rain. One of our roosters looks like a drowned rat. I'm
surprised because the hens and guineas were all nice and dry. Our two mares
rode out the storm standing on the edge of a line of trees. We had one
stallion killed several years back, presumeably by lightning hitting the
tree he was standing under.

A gift from a son years ago was a weather radio with an alarm feature. We
have it positioned to be able to wake us at night. Although I'm signed up
to get the computer warnings, by the time nearby storms are in the
warnings, the computer is unplugged and we are preparing to head to the
basement.

Last I listened to the daily report, we are about 2 inches deficit for rain
in 2008, but ahead of the norm for the month of March. Maybe the drought
will be broken this year.
Lynn

It's tornado season in the South, as last night's tornado in
downtown Atlanta supports.

Bev