homestead - Re: [Homestead] Georgia water woes

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Georgia water woes
  • Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 09:12:20 -0400

Gene GeRue wrote:
Bev, what is the current water condition at the Ron & Bev homestead? I've just read this:

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1720641,00.html

Like you say about the story, it would be pretty funny were it not so serious. I think the latest was that TN refused to even meet to entertain the possibility of a claim. The Tennessee River is big business(transportation AND energy) as well as a water source, and there is no way TN is going to hand over access without a bankrupting decades long fight.
I live in the northwest part of the state, which is usually the best area of the state drought-wise in that we are less affected. The Appalachians cut through here Ridge and Valley style, and there are lots of underground springs to replenish the rivers and lakes anyway. In fact, winter rains have done wonders for the ponds, rivers, and lakes in this part of the state, and while we are not out of the woods, we are in a far better place than I would have imagined a few months ago. Some area lakes are even above normal winter pool. Most of the state is south of me, and they aren't recovering quite as quickly, but progress is being made-more than was predicted at least.
On a personal note, our new well is still in the 'development' stage, and I've been told it could take even a few years for all the silt to wash out. We've got a sediment filter on it, and the water is good with the filter. The minimal sediment is my only complaint with the new well as otherwise quality and most especially quantity is great. I'm told that in time, the amount of sediment will wane, and indeed, it does seem to be getting better ever so slightly-the well is now 3 months old.
We are expecting severe weather this afternoon, gotta batten down the hatches. It's tornado season in the South, as last night's tornado in downtown Atlanta supports.

Bev
34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky