homestead - Re: [Homestead] Young people becoming farmers

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Young people becoming farmers
  • Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 11:00:50 EDT

> When
> the front page of the New York Times features a story about young
> people becoming organic farmers,

It's fading from the collective memory, but what we call a 'farmer' now of
days, in the agribusiness sense, did not exist just 50 years ago. The modern
agribusiness farmer is as much a fleeting and fabricated phantom of history
as
suburbs, 70 mile commutes, and fast food. The unsustainabitity of it all is
coming to roost.

Reaching far back in history and for thousands of years, the sort of farmer
described in the article has been the norm, give or take a few inessentials.
In the scheme of things perhaps we are just awakening from restless, tossing
and turning, nap of industrialism. </HTML>