homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tools for homesteading

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tools for homesteading
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 06:13:49 -0700

On Feb 28, 2008, at 6:02 AM, paxamicus AT earthlink.net wrote:

This is my best farm tool....the one on the right. ; )
http://www.hopefieldfarm.com/freeimages/dogs/starrbopfetch.jpg

Recently saw a great program about dogs on TV. Among lots of other good stuff it showed this sheep guy over in Scotland where the hills are even steeper than most of the Ozarks. Dogs are absolutely essential there. He controlled his dogs with his mouth: different whistles told them what to do. He sent this one dog across the valley to fetch a small group of sheep. He could see one hiding in the rocks that the dog could not see from its position. I kid you not, the guy had a whistle that told the dog, "you missed one." The dog went back and found the sheep and put it with the group and brought them home. Just wonderful to watch.