homestead - [Homestead] Tools for homesteading

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Tools for homesteading
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 14:05:31 -0700

On Feb 26, 2008, at 6:11 PM, Robert Walton wrote:

I'm not a looking for doomsday, but think that a lot of us
homesteaders would be caught with our pants down if we could not use
our powertools.

Seems to me this is a subject we could spend substantial time on to our benefit.

My plan for the thirty-plus years I have had Heartwood has been to always have enough hand tools, and the skill to use them, so I could continue my way of life there even if the sky fell.

You remind me that I need to think through my tool list and make sure I still have that capability.

Chainsaw is my first choice. Backup is bow saw, crosscut saws, antique pruning saw, axes, hatchet.

Radial arm saw, table saw, miter saw, jigsaw are my first choices in that area. Backups are hand saws, hand miter box and saw, keyhole saw.

Half-inch and three-eights power drill motors and drills are my first choice. Backup is brace and bits.

Riding lawnmower with triple bag catcher is my first choice. Right now I need backups. I need to follow James' example and get a good scythe. For collection, one can make a hay rake and leaf rake if necessary. This is important to how I garden as most of my mulch is composed of grass clippings and fall leaf collection with the mower.

Backhoe is my first choice. All second choices are real sad: picks, shovels and several different wheelbarrows.

I have never owned or desired a power tiller. All gardening tools are muscle powered.

Okay, I got the list started. Add to it.