homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tools for homesteading

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tools for homesteading
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 05:46:46 -0700

On Feb 27, 2008, at 6:44 PM, keith bellinger wrote:

Yeah, I like the "egg-beater drills" and have several sizes including a
big one you can lean on, along with a couple push drills. But they are
used mostly for metal work. Braces are for wood and nothing cuts a
better hole through wood. I use mine for tapping trees.

I was lucky to inherit my bit brace drill and set of drill bits from my father. The small wood piece on the crank is held together with electrician's tape, a reminder of Dad's trade. A couple years ago I reached for the fitted box of drill bits and it fell apart in my hands--all the glue had dried and let go. Reglued, It will last until someone inherits it from me.