homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tools for homesteading

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tools for homesteading
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 21:46:13 -0800

At 2/27/2008 01:05 PM,Gene GeRue wrote:

On Feb 26, 2008, at 6:11 PM, Robert Walton wrote:

>>> I'm not a looking for doomsday, but think that a lot of us
> homesteaders would be caught with our pants down if we could not use
> our powertools.

Seems to me this is a subject we could spend substantial time on to
our benefit.

I like tools. Hand tools & power tools all have their place, often I use them together. Sometimes I like to use just hand tools for a project. Saw, hammer, brace/bit, a plane maybe and chisels are great fun. I almost forgot the files! I build a rocking horse out of a packing crate once with hand tools, the half round rough file (bastard file?) was great in that project.
For used tools there are auctions (the farm auctions in MN were great), pawn shops, second hand stores, estate sales, garage sales and of course www.craigslist.com .

If you want to try something with just hand tools, just do it. Build something simple and something you can use.
A spice rack or a tool box for your screw drivers or just a box to keep your plumbing fittings in. If you want to keep it simple make it out of a pallet, scrap wood works great too but doing it from a pallet gives you such a good feeling <g>.

If you are making a list of tools to look for put clamps on it, any clamps are good clamps. It's great to find a box full of "C" clamps at an auction for cheap.

Rob

becida AT comcast.net
Western Washington State, USA