homestead - Re: [Homestead] Teamsters endorse Obama

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Teamsters endorse Obama
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 20:20:16 EST

> Are you meaning economics, mostly? What do you see as the superior
> alternative? Isolationism doesn't work.

Yes, economically essentially. Although military, social, religious, etc.
are generally masks to hide economic goings on.

But I don't mean Globalism vs Isolationism. You are right, isolantionism
hasn't worked. I mean Globalism vs Regionalism, going the least distance
away
from home to deal with our situations, not the furthest.

This evening I was in a Mart and went to get some canned mushrooms, having
eaten all we gathered here long ago in the season, more's the pity. The
store
brand was 56 cents and was a product of China. Another brand was 58 cents
and
was the product of the USA (I always look). Why in the name of reason do we
have the Chinese growing and canning mushrooms for us. Just insane.

Regionalism for me means that if it can be done by any means close to home,
do it there and only if it is just impossible then go to another state,
another
country, another continent. For example, I also bought some oranges at the
produce stand. This is toward the end of in season oranges and the just
don't
grow here so I am still being a true Regionalist when I opt for the oranges.

We should be encouraging other countries to be as self-sufficient as they can
be, not entwine them in our lopsided petro-dollars for everything valuable
you've got schemes. </HTML>