homestead - Re: [Homestead] Gardening...was In Defense of Food

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Gardening...was In Defense of Food
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 20:10:07 -0600

On Jan 9, 2008 6:56 PM, Gloria Morris <gloriamorris59 AT gmail.com> wrote:

> Once upon a time I had a greenhouse. I loved it very much, but it required
> extra heat. ....
> I am now thinking low budget. I'm thinking about a cold frame.

A cold frame can get you lots. I had an uncle (actually he was my
mother's uncle) who could grow anything. He used horse manure in his
cold frames and after he sold his horses, got donkey manure from us.
He had a huge truck operation that he ran himself with help (well,
slave labor really) during the summer from his sister and her husband
and daughter and, on occasion me and my mother. He sold produce from a
roadside stand and made a small fortune. His specialities were melons
but he also had strawberries, raspberries, green beans, eggplant,
potatoes, peppers, cucumbers, lettuce, and probably other things I'm
forgetting.

I will never forget the despair in my 9-year-old heart when we started
picking green beans at one end of a quarter mile row (and of course
there was another row to pick on the way back). My cousin, also named
Marie, and I also flogged produce door to door in the towns in the
area. Now that was quite an interesting experience: I learned, for
example at quite an early age, that some ladies stayed home and drank
all day.

Marie