homestead - Re: [Homestead] Reusable canning lids

  • From: SJC <indexer AT localnet.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Reusable canning lids
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 20:57:36 -0500

Gloria Morris wrote:
I'd sure like it if someone manufactured a good quality reusable canning
lid. It is so wasteful to throw them out and buy new!!! I have not been able
to keep them intact enough upon removal to even consider reusing them,
Gloria, to get them off without bending them wedge the back of a table knife between the lid and glass thread at the point where it comes nearest the top of the jar, and then twist gently. Work carefully; you only need lift it enough to break the seal and it will come right up.

And as to zinc lids, they haven't been seen in these parts for many years, and for the last 4 years I've have to order rubber rings from away (yes I still use the old bail jars, carefully).

Susan Jane, in Maine