homestead - Re: [Homestead] Gardening...was In Defense of Food

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Gardening...was In Defense of Food
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 22:13:11 -0500

Marie McHarry wrote:

A cold frame can get you lots. I had an uncle (actually he was my
mother's uncle) who could grow anything.

That'd be your great uncle. :)

He used horse manure in his
cold frames and after he sold his horses, got donkey manure from us.

Jeavons talks about this in HTGMV. Basically, you dig a shallow trench, shovel in the poop, and cover it with soil. As horse poop is "hot" it composts in place, releasing its heat into the cold frame like an earth-friendly heater.

I will never forget the despair in my 9-year-old heart when we started
picking green beans at one end of a quarter mile row (and of course
there was another row to pick on the way back).

Sounds like you have me beat on that one. We always had 10 or 12 100 foot rows of green beans (bush beans). I never thought about it, but that would be 1200 feet, just shy of a quarter mile. It was an every day or every other day chore in the summer, and of course, in the winter, we cut collards and spinach, etc. I dreaded the Georgia summer heat-so much that I SWORE I would never ever garden again. It's hard for me to believe that I actually enjoy it now, as long as I can take breaks and go topless every once in a while. ;) Of course, I'm not canning beans anymore so I don't grow that much, but I could if I needed to.

Bev, who moved a bit further north in GA, but still struggles with the summer heat and humidity.

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky